Thursday, June 20, 2024

Networked Knowledge Activities

image by freepik


 I enjoyed the readings this week. I always appreciate the Choose Your Own Adventure approach where we can take what we want/need and skim or leave the rest.  This week I was having FOMO so I had to read a bit more from each of the sections!  I think all of the puzzle pieces are starting to come together and I see how they fit with each other.  It's like I have the edges done, now I'm working on the middle.  

As I was reading, I couldn't help but think way back to my early days of teacher prep classes and Bloom's Taxonomy.  Maybe it is because there are six parts to NKA and six parts to Bloom, maybe it is because the NKAs also fall into a loose hierarchy.  Maybe it's because when I got to the end of the chapter, the parallels were spelled out right there! 




The activities associated with Networked Knowledge Activities are: collecting, curating, sharing, brokering, negotiating, and constructing.  

1. Collecting - Gathering information.  Similar to the remembering level of Bloom, although in the digital world we can use something like a Pinterest to help us remember.  This would be considered one of the lower level activities.  

2. Curating - User creates an intentional collection for a specific purpose or audience.  Understanding, for the Bloom model, would be a user explaining why a certain artifact belongs in the collection.  

3. Sharing - Taking something that has been collected and sharing it with other people. When sharing, a user has to evaluate what the audience wants and needs. 

4. Brokering - This involves connecting groups with information that both groups would find useful.  For instance, I belong to a Homeschooling High School group and a College Athletics Recruiting group.  There have been several times that a parent in the high school group has wondered if their student can participate in college sports and also times that parents in the other group wonder if their highly competitive athlete would be better served in a homeschool environment.  I'm able to share my Pinterest Board with both of them and help them do their own research.

5. Negotiating - For this activity learners have to work together and communicate effectively to determine meaning.  

6. Constructing - This is where all the pieces come together and learners create something new with all of the things they have collected, curated, and shared.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Kelly, I also noticed the interaction between NKA and Bloom's Taxonomy. For example, I connected Bloom's Taxonomy Remembering with NKA Collect as the produser must relate the items they are gathering to make learning meaningful. When NKA Sharing occurs, a produser must use Bloom's Analysis, as you described to evaluate their audience's needs. NKA Negotiation involves Bloom's Taxonomy Evaluating as the produser justifies their standpoint on the content they contributed.

    ReplyDelete