Saturday, July 20, 2024

Ted Talk About Ted Talks!

 My final blog post is going to be about a Ted Talk.  I started writing this for my previous post, but Ted Talk got me thinking about Ted from How I Met Your Mother and I ended up writing about that instead. But, this Ted Talk is probably better for a final post anyway.  I have mentioned it before in this class that I like Ted Talks.  To connect that interest to this class I went in search of talks about whatever topic we were learning about that week. There are definitely plenty of talks on the topics we have covered in our Web 2.0 class.

 

 


 Until today, I just thought of Ted Talks as a way to learn something new and maybe find a little inspiration to learn more about a topic I didn't much about. Or maybe, I found a talk that caused me to think about something differently than I normally would have. Thats' what happened today when I listened to this talk by Scott Galloway. Warning: There is some crude language and non PG topics in this talk. The talk itself is not terribly long, but there is a conversation after the talk that is equally interesting to hear. For the record, I am not saying I agree with everything he says, I'm just stating that he made me think about some things in ways I had not thought about them before.



 I listened to this talk while watching my son play in a golf tournament. I was laughing at loud, tssking, and shaking my head at times so I ended up walking ahead of the group because apparently golfers don't enjoy listening to a person's reactions to a podcast while they are playing a huge tournament, especially if they can't hear the podcast also!


I won't get into the meat of the talk in this post, there are some rather controversial statements, but I will write about how relates to Web 2.0. The speaker does mention social media a few times.  He is adamant that nobody under 16 should be on social media. The speaker and the host do also address the positive side of social media for kids, but you will have to listen for yourself to hear what they say! I think their sentiments echo what many of us have blogged about in this class, but he has some fascinating statistics to back up his claims.

Until today I never really thought of Ted Talks as a Web 2.0 tool.  They are generally something I only take away from, not interact with. However, the interviewer kept mentioning comments that were coming as they were talking.  The host, Chris Anderson -  head of TED - says, "Comment away, ask questions, talk with each other, disagree, amplify, whatever strikes you as the right thing to do."  When I got home I checked it out on YouTube and sure enough there were over 100 comments.  So, in this case maybe YouTube would be the tool.  Although, reading the comments there I'm not seeing the same comments that were mentioned in the interview so maybe TED has their own platform that I'm not aware of...yet.  One thing that I thought was interesting was when Chris Anderson was ranking social media platforms by their commenters.  Certain platforms were more suited for ranting and some were better for civil, thoughtful discussions.  

The purpose of my TED talk today was to get you to think about TED talks as another possible Web 2.0 tool. Be sure to check out TED on all of your favorite social media platforms! 

Follow TED! X:   / tedtalks   Instagram:   / ted   Facebook:   / ted   LinkedIn:   / ted-conferences   TikTok:   / tedtoks  

2 comments:

  1. I've been seeing a lot of Scott Galloway content on my social media platforms lately! He has some interesting insight on higher education, generational wealth, and U.S. policy reform. I agree with you, I don't always agree with everything he says but I do think he makes some thought-provoking points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Ted Talks! I would never have thought about looking up Ted Talks that cover topics from a class I was in. That is definitely something I want to do in the future. I usually look up Ted Talks on topics that interest me that I personally want to learn more about. I definitely want to listen to that last one, as I also do not think children should be on social media. As a teacher, I have seen too many downsides to think otherwise.

    ReplyDelete