Thursday, June 13, 2024

You want to use my work?


I read "Ownership of digital course artifacts: who can access and use your words, images, sounds, and clicks?" written by our very own Dr. Dennen.  

This topic actually came up last semester.  I had just finished my first semester of school in over twenty years and my fears and insecurities were still pretty strong.  I excitedly told a good friend that the professor had asked to use my work as a sample in her future classes.  I was expecting a  pat on the back. Instead, she looked at me like I'd be crazy if I said yes!  I was floored. It never occured to me that I would not want to share. By the way, I have since learned that this same friend also has completely opposite views as me on the subject of AI also, but that's a story for another day.

 I am a teacher to my core.  I am most definitely guilty of oversharing everything!  If it will help another student, I want to be help.  If I can help a professor in some small way, I want to do that.  I still have work samples from students I had twenty years ago.  I don't do anything with them, they're collecting dust in a box.  I remember sharing samples for a literature project with one class and the new projects they created blew my samples out of the water. The next year, I shared the new samples and that class improved upon the samples again.  

For the record, I did say yes, and I'm still thrilled that she thought my work was good enough to use as a model for other students.  

Now, the thought of my  clickstream data being valuable or interesting to someone never entered my mind. To be honest, I don't know how it works, but if someone wants to see that it took me eight attempts to post this blog in the proper format or that I spent seventeen minutes reading a class assignment description, more power to them.  I consider myself to be a rather boring lab rat for those studies! Do instructors actually use this data for anything? The article states that if an instructor plans to access and use clickstream data, the students should be made aware of that. That sentence me pause and think, "Did our professor, who wrote this article and knows quite a bit more about this topic than the average professor, tell us she would be using our data? Maybe she's not using any of it, maybe she's using all of it."  Either way, it sounds like exactly the kind of thing that would not become part of my cognitive load if she did mention it. 

How about you? Are protective of work you complete in a class? 


Dennen, V. P. (2016). Ownership of Digital Course Artifacts: Who Can Access and Use Your Words, Images, Sounds, and Clicks? Quarterly Review of Distance Education, 17(4), 5-.


No comments:

Post a Comment