Thursday, June 13, 2024

Crowdsourcing vs. Momsourcing


 


After a week of way too much time on the computer and the twists and turns of life throwing some real curveballs,  my brain feels like mush.  I've been down too many rabbit holes while working on the Community Norms paper and I've learned more about social media than I even knew possible.  I learned that you can discover just about anything you ever wanted to know on Reddit and probably some things you didn't want to know.  Fortunately, I didn't come across anything deep, dark, or disturbing, but I've heard it's there and you don't have to look too hard.

With this vast amount of knowledge at his fingertips, and I know he has the ability because I pay his cell phone bill, why does my extremely intelligent (forgive the mom slant on the description)19 year old son  call me at least once a week and ask me the simplest of questions?  Today it was, "How do I make macaroni and cheese?" In fairness to him, I never used the blue box for the 18 years he lived in this house so he's a little spoiled.  I grew up with Kraft and I still love it once in a while, but I never made it for my kids.  I feel the blue box is a necessary part of college life. Maybe not.  He wanted mom's mac and cheese and he was calling me from the aisle of the grocery store.  Truth be told, I don't have a secret recipe. It was always a little of this and a little of that, but I didn't want to burst his bubble.  What did I do? Of course, I hopped on Reddit and found a recipe while I talked to him!  I rattled it off like it was engraved in my brain.  My boy got mac and cheese and I got to talk to my boy.  He did some momsourcing and I did some crowdsourcing.  It was a win for both of us.  

2 comments:

  1. I love this! Reddit can be so helpful... but I have to admit I have stumbled upon some things I could have lived without.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, this is great. I agree with your statements about Reddit. I am also so proud of the supportive relationship you clearly have with your son. While he could have totally googled a recipe, he chose to reach out to you!

    ReplyDelete