Saturday, June 29, 2024

Where's the sample?

This is my second class in the Instructional Design grad program.  It's no secret that going back to school after 20 years away from the academic world was a daunting task for me. EVERYTHING has changed, including me. Twenty years ago I was a young, confident teacher working on a Masters degree at night and teaching during the day...no big deal. Now, I am questioning everything I do in a class and feeling insecure with my abilities to jump into this whole new world.

Disney - A Whole New World

 

In my first class, the professor gave multiple samples for every assignment.  This probably would have been super helpful if I had known this at the beginning of the class, but the samples were just kind of hanging out, inconspicuously, in the corner of the room and I didn't notice them.  The examples were all very different from each other.  I looked at them all and some just did not appeal to my style at all, others did provide a starting point for me.  

When EME6414 started, I got the feeling that there would be no strict guidelines and no samples to follow.  I will admit this made me uncomfortable.  What if I'm not up to par? I would love to see examples of the projects we are working on, but I know there is a purpose to not sharing examples. I am trying to embrace the feeling because after all, growth occurs at the edge of your comfort zone and that's where I'm standing.   There is a quote by Henry Ford on the wall of Ford's Garage (the burger restaurant) and it says, "If I asked the people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse." This immediately popped into my head when I read, "innovation does not occur by copying an example" in Dr. Dennen's chapter. Things don't get better if you just keep doing the same old thing all the time.  

Boom! There it is, that's why there is the freedom the develop assignments in a way that works for the student. Innovation does not occur by copying an example.  I am slowly coming around to the concept of trusting the process.  I do understand the educational value and I wholeheartedly agree I get more out of assignments that are constructed this way than if I just followed a template.  If only, there was not the stress of an arbitrary grade being placed on authentic learning.  


via GIPHY

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kelly, I hope that you enjoy the ISLT program. I am approaching the end, hopefully next semester. Based on my experience, each course varies. Some professors provide samples of their expectations by sharing prior submissions while others provide guidance via the rubric of their expectations but more freedom. Like you, when there are no samples, I am often second-guessing if the assignment meets the criteria as it does count towards a grade. This is the first semester that I have not received a letter grade for each assignment, rather a pass or fail. It has been rather odd to me as I have not experienced this before. A second element that I have only encountered in this class is to choose which assignment I prefer to do. I have enjoyed it as it has granted me more flexibility in choosing my level of learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Kelly--I really admire how you're leaning into your discomfort here & know that approach will allow you to learn a ton as you make your way through the program (I am in my final semester, but I can definitely remember the feelings you're describing). Also, I highlighted the exact same quote in Dr. Dennen's chapter & used it (sort of indirectly) as the inspiration for one of my posts this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post, Kelly! I am in the same boat as you; the amount of choice we have in this class is daunting for me at times. I'm one of those people who challenges myself to do more or to do something different when some teachers/professors would prefer you to "stick to the script" so to speak. I constantly remind myself to "color inside the lines" in class. Dr. Dennen has been so supportive and reassuring that it's encouraged me to stop worrying and start learning!

    ReplyDelete