Saturday, May 18, 2024

For Better or Worse

I actually enjoy creative writing and a blog seems like it would be a great place to do a little bit of that. I'm not sure why I'm having a hard time getting started! Well, maybe I do.  As a student, I'm used to checking boxes, which is not the way I operate in "real life." If the teacher says, "You need to write a three paragraph response to Article 1 and include X,Y, and Z." I can do that without a problem. However, I tend to be more of a reflective thinker and I like to make connections to what is happening in my little corner of the world.  I suppose that can seem self-centered to some readers, but the beauty of a blog is those readers can just click on the next link and move along.  I spent years teaching kids to connect with their text and now it's just part of my reading style.  Writing in this way is personal and it makes me vulnerable to put my thoughts out into the world.  But, after my last class, which was the first class I've taken in over 20 years, I promised myself that in my next class I would not sit quietly on the sidelines and worry if my ideas were way off base. I would be an active participant and if I'm totally wrong about something or ask a silly question...so be it.  It seems a class on social media is the perfect time to be interactive! For better or worse, if you are reading this blog you will get a peek at some of my most random thoughts. 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Kelly! I am glad you are feeling more brave in your second course. It can be hard when you first go back to school. I felt very out of place and intimidated when I started back to school after almost ten years since my bachelors. However, everyone in this program seems so kind and supportive. I have learned so much and am so grateful for this opportunity. I love that you connect with your reading and I am really looking forward to reading more of your posts this semester!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I agree with you, I have not "met" anyone in the program who has been anything other than kind and supportive!

      Delete
  2. Hello. Congratulations on putting yourself out there. I also do not really use social media. The idea of making a blogg seems interesting to me and I hope it is not for nothing. I still am not sure why anyone would take the time to see what I think about things. But there is always hope. I think this journey will be advantageous for both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I feel similar - intimidated by the options but excited to challenge myself a bit more in a . Hopefully, we all find a groove and become more comfortable in sharing our unique perspectives and how they are similar (or not) to each other's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly, your blog is very relatable. When I became a student again, I was very hesitant to participate and experienced imposter syndrome. While it hasn't gone away completely, it has most definitely improved over the past 2 years. As I enter into my last semester of the ISLT master's program, I can confidently say asking the questions, saying the things, and interacting is the way to go! We all are in this together.

    I am looking forward to exploring this semester alongside you ~

    ReplyDelete